Majida el Roumi
"The world’s renowned pianist Walid Akl, wrote about her saying: “I’m proud to be Lebanese, since my citizenship corresponds to such a marvelous, clear, irresistible voice like that of Majida EL Roumi; who rarely has an identical twin to, her talent equals her modesty, & her beauty equals her spontaneousness."
Read more about Majida El Roumi...
Majida El Roumi set out her path in the world of music and arts from an early age, after having earned first place in a musical talent show called “Studio EL Fan” that took place in Beirut in 1974. Ever since, she has earned the biggest place in the hearts and souls of all Lebanese and Arab audiences for whom she sang and was received as an honored guest.
Since her first appearance, Majida EL Roumi recognized her mission and the path she had set for herself; a path that soon all her audience followed and cheered together with her mission in life. The famous writer Najib Hankash first spotted that innocent young girl, whose eyes reflect all the hope, aspiration and Love of giving. A young girl whose heart beat with the rhythm of Life and of a prosperous tomorrow, together with an angelic voice captured hearts all across the Arab world.
Majida was described by the great Arab poet “Nizar Kabani”, who said:” I liked her thoughts and clarity of mind before loving her velvety voice, Majida EL Roumi, resembles me in depth as a rebel. She’s very promising; she feels and intelligently understands the word which is a rare quality. I believe Lebanon is in great need of her, and she will become Lebanon’s Ambassadress to all Lebanese and Arabs alike.”
The world’s renown pianist Walid Akl, wrote about her saying: “I’m proud to be Lebanese, since my citizenship corresponds to such a marvelous, clear, irresistible voice like that of Majida EL Roumi; who rarely has an identical twin to, her talent equals her modesty, & her beauty equals her spontanousness.
She has received numerous medals in Lebanon and the world, in addition to the medal of the people which she receives daily through their love for her and her songs. She had a unique experience in film in 1975 with: “The return of the prodigal son”, directed by Youssef Chahine, for which she received the Award of Egyptian Critics.
Together with her first song entitled ”I’m dreaming of you Lebanon, the dream” in the year 1975, she has recorded eleven hugely successful studio albums. In honor to her vast artistic and human contribution, “The Food and Agriculture Organization of The United Nations “FAO”, nominated her Ambassadress since October 2001. She has always worked hard to bridge the links between the rich and poor and dedicates her live performances to this message.
Several of her most significant honours include:
- The medal of National Labor, from the Tunisian Presidency, 1987.
- The Shield of the French National Committee, 1993.
- The diploma of the “Algerian Citizen” from the Democratic People Republic of Algeria, 1997.
- The Shield of “Doctors with no Frontiers”, 1999. - Medal of Honor from the Syndicate of Egyptian Press, 2000.
- Diploma and Medal of Honor as the honorary Ambassadress of Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), 2001.
- Shield of Honor from Queen Nour EL Hussein, From Jordan, 2002.
- Medal of Merit, of the rank of Commander, from the Government of the Ivory Coast, 2003.
- Shield of Honor from the Ministry of Culture in Syria, 2004.
- Shield of Culture and Golden Medal of the Press, for the fiftieth anniversary commemoration of the Liberation war, from the President of Algeria, 2005.